Medical Spanish for Healthcare Providers
Course Expiration Date: 7/31/17
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $125.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Once you have the enrollment key, enter it at the bottom of the page and then click on the Enroll Me box.
Course Description: This course will provide healthcare workers with the basic pronunciation and vocabulary needed to communicate with Spanish speaking patients.
Instructor: Roberto Martinez, MA
Target Audience: All Healthcare providers
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Review and practice the basics of Spanish pronunciation.
- Develop and/or improve the speaking, listening and writing skills used in Spanish communication
- Increase conversational abilities using role-playing scenarios, listening comprehension and speaking.
- Develop and/or extend a base vocabulary of medical terms and phrases in Spanish.
- Recognize basic grammatical rules and how they are similar to or different from their counterparts in English.
- Read and understand basic Spanish medical literature by recognizing basic words and phrases.
- View through presentation how Hispanic culture influences their health care beliefs and practices.
Length of Course: 5 hours
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
This continuing education activity is approved for 5.0 contact hours for licensed nurses.
Social Workers: This program has been approved for 5.0 clock hours of non-social work continuing education by Upstate AHEC, as part of the SC AHEC system, under its accreditation by the SC Board of Social Work Examiners.
Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists: This program has been approved for 5.0 hours of continuing education by SC AHEC under its accreditation by the SC Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists.
Dietitians: 5.0 hours of CPE for registered dietitians
Respiratory Care Practitioners: 5.0 clock hours will be awarded by Upstate AHEC, an approved provider of continuing education for respiratory care practitioners by the SC Board of Medical Examiners.
Other: This educational offering provides 0.50CEUs (5.0 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Upstate AHEC's conflict of interest policy requires faculty to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of their presentations/materials.
The speaker(s) has/have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in educational activities.
Provisions of this educational activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.