Medication Use In Pregnancy: Where Do Opioids Fit In?
Course Expiration Date: 9/30/2021
CE program brought to you by South Carolina AHEC through AHECU. If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
To register go to www.upstateahec.org If you are purchasing this course the cost is $50 payable you enroll at www.upstateahec.org. If you require special assistance, please contact the office at 864-349-1160.
Instructor: Debby Mills, MS, CNS, RNC-OB
Target Audience: Licensed Nurses and other interested healthcare workers
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the mechanism by which medications transfer to the fetus.
- Discuss the classification systems for medications and opioids.
- Discuss the safety concerns for over the counter medications and social drugs.
- Describe the increasing use of drugs by women of reproductive age and the factors that increase the risk of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss the impact of opioid use during pregnancy and the role of healthcare providers.
- Compare the different strategies for screening and treatment of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss newborns exhibiting symptoms of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS).
- Discuss current recommendations for breastfeeding and opioid use.
- Describe childhood outcomes after intrauterine exposure to opioids.
Length of Course: 2 hours
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 2.0 contact hours.
Other: This educational offering provides 0.2 CEUs (2.0 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be given if you have accessed
an online course. You may cancel via
email at email@example.com or telephone, 864-349-1160.