Medication Use In Pregnancy: Where Do Opioids Fit In?
Course Expiration Date: 9/30/2021
CE program brought to you by South Carolina AHEC through AHECU. If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
To register go to www.upstateahec.org If you are purchasing this course the cost is $50 payable you enroll at www.upstateahec.org. If you require special assistance, please contact the office at 864-349-1160.
Instructor: Debby Mills, MS, CNS, RNC-OB
Target Audience: Licensed Nurses and other interested healthcare workers
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Describe the mechanism by which medications transfer to the fetus.
- Discuss the classification systems for medications and opioids.
- Discuss the safety concerns for over the counter medications and social drugs.
- Describe the increasing use of drugs by women of reproductive age and the factors that increase the risk of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss the impact of opioid use during pregnancy and the role of healthcare providers.
- Compare the different strategies for screening and treatment of opioid use disorder.
- Discuss newborns exhibiting symptoms of Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS).
- Discuss current recommendations for breastfeeding and opioid use.
- Describe childhood outcomes after intrauterine exposure to opioids.
Length of Course: 2 hours
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 2.0 contact hours.
Other: This educational offering provides 0.2 CEUs (2.0 clock hour) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement: Upstate AHEC’s conflict of interest policy requires speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity of this program to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of this presentation or materials.
The speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in this activity.
Provision of this education activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test and complete the evaluation.
Once you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.
Cancellation Policy: No refunds will be given if you have accessed
an online course. You may cancel via
email at email@example.com or telephone, 864-349-1160.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.