Dementia in the Elderly
Course Expiration Date: 3/31/2022
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $150.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: To provide more detailed education on dementia and how it relates to the care of the patient.
Instructor: Macie P. Smith, Ed.D., LBSW, C-SWCM
Target Audience: Nursing, Social Workers, Counselors and Therapists, Medical Assistants, and any other interested healthcare provider
At the end of this presentation, the learner will be able to:
- recognize signs and symptoms of dementia.
- identify the causes and treatments for dementia.
- recognize the differences between dementia and Alzheimer's Disease.
- identify the communication problems of someone living with dementia.
- identify how to effectively communicate with someone living with dementia.
- to interpret non-verbal communication from someone living with dementia.
- to recognize awareness of environmental factors that affect someone living with dementia.
- identify strategies to facilitate optimal caregiving.
- describe how generational barriers affect the environment of someone living with dementia.
- list the challenging behaviors of people living with dementia.
- identify possible causes of challenging behaviors exhibited by someone living with dementia.
- identify possible solutions to challenging behaviors exhibited by someone living with dementia.
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, attendees will receive 6 contact hours.
Counselors and Therapists: This program has been approved for 6 hours of continuing education by SC AHEC under its accreditation by the SC Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists.
Social Workers: This program has been approved for 6 clock hours of social work continuing education by Upstate AHEC, as part of the SC AHEC system, under its accreditation by the SC Board of Social Work Examiners.
Certified Medical Assistants: This program, #136084, has been granted prior approval by the American Association of Medial Assistants (AAMA) for 6.0 CG credit. Granting approval in no way constitutes endorsement by the AAMA of the program content of the program's sponsor.
Others: This program is approved for 0.6 CEUs (6 clock hours) by Upstate AHEC and meets the SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement: Upstate AHEC’s conflict of interest policy requires speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity of this program to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of this presentation or materials.
The speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in this activity.
Provision of this education activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test and complete the evaluation.
Once you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.