Teens and Mental Illness: Sorting It All Out
Course Expiration Date: 4/30/22
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $40.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: This presentation will provide participants with current views on treatment and interventions for children and teens with symptoms of mental illness.
Instructor: Kathy Fitzsimmons, RN, PhD
Target Audience: Licensed Nurse, Social Worker, Medical Assistants, and any other Healthcare Providers
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- Identify signs and symptoms of disorders usually identified in childhood or adolescence by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Discuss the developmental factors affecting the adolescent with a mental illness by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Differentiate and analyze various predisposing factors and manifestations of these disorders by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Identify different treatment modalities for the adolescent with a mental illness by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Develop a plan of care for the adolescent with a mental illness or developmental disorder by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Identify client and family teaching needs by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
- Critically appraise new research regarding care of adolescents with mental illness by passing the post knowledge assessment test with an 80% or better.
Length of Course: 90 minutes
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, attendees will receive 1.5 contact hours.
Social Workers:This program has been approved for 1.5 clock hours of non-social work continuing education by Upstate AHEC, as part of the SC AHEC system, under its accreditation by the SC Board of Social Work Examiners.
Licensed Professional Counselors and Therapists: This program has been approved for 1.5 hours of continuing education by SC AHEC under its accreditation by the SC Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists.
Certified Medical Assistants: This program, #136068, has been granted prior approval by the American Association of Medial Assistants (AAMA) for 1.5 CG credit. Granting approval in no way constitutes endorsement by the AAMA of the program content of the program's sponsor.
Others:This program is approved for 0.15CEUs (1.5 clock hours) by Upstate AHEC and meets the SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement: Upstate AHEC’s conflict of interest policy requires speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity of this program to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of this presentation or materials.
The speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in this activity.
Provision of this education activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test and complete the evaluation.
Once you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.