Cultural Competency for Healthcare Professionals
Course Expiration Date: 8/31/19
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $25.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: This course will provide participants with a basic understanding of culture, cultural competency and how they relate to the provision of healthcare.
Instructor: Michael Caudill MA, RN
Target Audience: All Healthcare professionals
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- define culture and cultural competency.
- list the legal, regulatory and professional bases underlying the practice of cultural competence.
- describe the demographic and social forces behind the need for a cultural competent practice.
- describe current interactions where culture influences provider/patient interactions.
- choose appropriate behaviors from scenarios that accommodate the cultural preferences of different cultural groups.
- demonstrate how personal space and areas of the body that are considered private vary among cultures.
- analyze current approaches to patient care and identify areas for improvement.
- incorporate a new awareness of their own cultural attitudes, beliefs and behaviors when interacting with clients/patients.
- integrate approaches into practice that anticipate and accommodate differences in cultural values.
Length of Course: 60 minutes
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 1.0 contact hours
Respiratory Care Practitioners: 1.0 clock hours will be awarded by Upstate AHEC, an approved provider of continuing education for respiratory care practitioners by the SC Board of Medical Examiners.
Dietitians: 1.0 hours of CPE for registered dietitians.
Social Workers: This program has been approved for 1.0 clock hours of non-social work continuing education by Upstate AHEC, as part of the SC AHEC system, under its accreditation by the SC Board of Social Work Examiners.
Counselors and Therapists: This program has been approved for 1.00 hours of continuing education by SC AHEC under its accreditation by the SC Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists.
Massage Therapists: This program has been approved for 1.2 hours of continuing education by the SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation for Massage Therapy. SC State Provider Number is 2. Expires 6/30/2020.
Others: This educational offering provides 0.10 CEUs (1.0 clock hours) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Upstate AHEC's conflict of interest policy requires faculty to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of their presentations/materials.
The speaker(s) has/have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in educational activities.
Provisions of this educational activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.