Diabetes Clinical Update
Course Expiration Date: 12/31/18
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $25.00 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: This course is designed to provide the healthcare provider with an update to the clinical guidelines for diabetes.
Instructor: Jane Mauldin RN BSN CDE
Target Audience: Nurses, Dieticians and any other interested healthcare provider
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- State the benefits of good glycemic control for hospitalized patients and for outpatients.
- State the definitions of different types of diabetes and how they are diagnosed.
- Discuss how a normal pancreas works and demonstrate understanding of patients' insulin needs.
- State the AACE/ADA recommendations/goals.
- Design a strategy for educating patients with diabetes.
- Demonstrate an understanding of pattern management when assessing blood glucose readings.
- Demonstrate an understanding of nutrition principles for patients with diabetes.
- State recommendations regarding exercise to patients with diabetes.
- State the acute complications of diabetes and discuss causes and treatment.
Length of Course: 45 minutes
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 0.75 contact hour.
Dietitians: 0.75 hours of CPE for registered dietitians.
Upstate AHEC Credit: This educational offering provides 0.075 CEUs (0.75 clock hours) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Upstate AHEC's conflict of interest policy requires faculty to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of their presentations/materials.
The speaker(s) has/have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in educational activities.
Provisions of this educational activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.