Understanding and Serving Trauma Survivors: A Domestic Violence Trauma-Informed Approach
Course Expiration Date: 10/31/19
AAMA Course Expiration: 2/6/2020
This course is free.
Course Description: This course will explore the definition of trauma and describe how some may exhibit a traumatic response. The learner will be able to identify six key principles of a Trauma-Informed Approach and understand cultural competence.
Instructor: Dr. Valerie Ekue
Target Audience: All Healthcare professionals
Learning Outcomes: After completing this activity, the participant will be able to:
- define trauma, to include the circumstances of events and how an individual assigns meaning to the event.
- describe how some may exhibit a traumatic response, and how to respond to this response in a way that does not re- traumatize the victim.
- develop Individual Strategies to Prevent Re-traumatization of the certain populations.
- discuss SAMHA’s Concept of Trauma and Guidance for a Trauma-Informed Approach as a guide for practice.
- identify the Six Key Principles of a Trauma-Informed Approach.
- discuss Cultural Specific Terms; cultural differences among survivors.
- discuss sources of implicit bias: Developmental history, Affective Experience, Culture.
- recognize and be aware of one’s own cultural biases and prejudices at the individual and organizational level.
- provide examples of Implicit Bias will be provided, Addressing your own explicit/implicit bias.
Length of Course: 120 minutes
Licensed Nurses: Upstate AHEC is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation.
Upon successful completion of this program, participants will receive 2.0 contact hours
Respiratory Care Practitioners: 2.0 clock hours will be awarded by Upstate AHEC, an approved provider of continuing education for respiratory care practitioners by the SC Board of Medical Examiners.
Dietitians: 2.0 hours of CPE for registered dietitians.
Social Workers: This program has been approved for 2.0 clock hours of non-social work continuing education by Upstate AHEC, as part of the SC AHEC system, under its accreditation by the SC Board of Social Work Examiners.
Counselors and Therapists: This program has been approved for 2.0 hours of continuing education by SC AHEC under its accreditation by the SC Board of Examiners for Licensure of Professional Counselors, Marriage and Family Therapists and Psycho-Educational Specialists.
Massage Therapists: This program has been approved for 2.4 hours of continuing education by the SC Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation for Massage Therapy. SC State Provider Number is 2 Expires 6/30/2020.
Certified Medical Assistants: This program, # 135384, has been granted prior approval by the American Association of Medial Assistants (AAMA) for 2 CG. Granting approval in no way constitutes endorsement by the AAMA of the program content of the program's sponsor.
Others: This educational offering provides 0.20 CEUs (2.0 clock hours) by Upstate AHEC and meets SC AHEC Best Practice Standards.
Disclosure Statement: Upstate AHEC’s conflict of interest policy requires speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity of this program to disclose any real or apparent commercial financial affiliations related to the content of this presentation or materials.
The speaker(s), the planning committee members, and all others in a position to control this activity have signed a vested interest form declaring no conflict of interest in this activity.
Provision of this education activity by Upstate AHEC does not imply endorsement by Upstate AHEC or ANCC of any commercial products displayed in conjunction with this activity.
Credit Requirements: To receive CE credit for completing this online course you must complete 100% of the material, receive at least 80% passing grade on post-test and complete the evaluation.
Once you pass the post-test and complete the evaluation you will be able to print a certificate for verification of credit.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.