Pharmacology for Therapists
Course Expiration Date: 5/14/18
If you are a member of SC AHEC this course is free with an enrollment key which you may obtain from the AHEC contact person within your organization.
If you are purchasing this course the cost is $150 payable through PayPal when you enroll.
Course Description: This course provides a brief overview of medication classes by body system and diseases. The course provides a brief description of diseases and lists specific medication classes for treatment and/or management. Both generic and brand names are listed, as well as side effects and adverse effects. Interventions the therapist must be aware of are outlined for each medication group.
This course consists of different activities:
1. Complete all the Pre-Tests and submit.
2. Watch the course presentations. You do not need to be online at a particular time to watch your course. When you purchase a course it will be available to you for up to one year. You may log into the web site at any time and as many times as you would like to view the presentation. You do not have to take the course in one sitting. You may take the course at your own pace.
3. Complete the Post-Test and submit. You must score an 80% or higher on the post-test in order to pass the course.
4. Complete and submit the self-assessment.
5. Complete the course evaluation and submit.
6. Print a certificate of completion. You will not be able to print your certificate of completion until all the course requirements are met. This includes completion of the pre-test, viewing the presentation for the complete length of time, completion and passing the post-test with an 80% or higher, complete the self-assessment, and completion of the evaluation.
Instructor: Jennifer C Walker RN, MSN
Target Audience: Occupational Therapists and Respiratory Therapists
Educational Level: introductory, Intermediate or Advanced
Length of Course: 9 hours
Classification Code: Classification Code 2 Occupational Therapy Process
- The therapist will distinguish brand name and generic name of at least 3 of the patient’s medications from at least one of the 8 body systems in the course.
- Given a scenario in which the patient experiences orthostatic hypotension, dizziness and lightheadedness, especially when changing positions, the participant will plan a therapy regimen around the side effects.
- Given a scenario in which a patient is taking a diuretic medication the participant will design a plan of care which includes at least 3 interventions that address the implications of the medication.
Occupational Therapy: Upstate AHEC is an AOTA Approved Provider of continuing education. AOTA does not endorse specific course content, products, or clinical procedures.
This course has been assigned 0.85 AOTA CEU’s (8.5 clock hours). The assignment of AOTA CEUs does not imply endorsement of specific content, products, or clinical procedures by AOTA.
Respiratory Care Practitioners: 9 clock hours will be awarded by Upstate AHEC, an approved provider of continuing education for respiratory care practitioners by the SC Board of Medical Examiners.
The process for enrolling in AHECU courses has changed. Please go to www.upstateahec.org and click the blue AHECU/Distance Education block to register for online courses. There is a tutorial on the web site if you need assistance with the registration process.